Saturday, January 12, 2013

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction.  Jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a sadist; a vindictive, bloodthirsty..."   -Richard Dawkins
     If you believe in Jesus, or even just a form of God, this is extremely unsettling.  When I read it the first time, it physically made my stomach hurt.  How could anyone think that about someone who would let his son redeem us?   Right now in school I am taking a class called World Views.  Although it's a lot of work, it is also very interesting.  A few days ago, we got a sheet of quotes, and I thought I would share some of them with you.  The one above is obviously not what I believe, but some of these are really good.
"God is not who you think He is; He is who He says He is."
      -Clarice Fluitt
     This quote is really great, especially because it is true!   I always think of God in my little box of happiness, but He is so much more than that!  He is the one that helps you when you're feeling down, but also brings down His wrath on those who defy Him.  He is the God who created thunderstorms and extreme weather, like what's above, and also the one who creates amazing rainbows after the storm.

     I have just one more quote that you might find interesting.  Now I don't know whether or not this man is a believer or not (I heard that he was Catholic), but this is just a really cool quote.  
"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius?  Upon force.  Jesus Christ founded an empire upon love; and at this hour millions of men would die for Him."
     -Napoleon
     This quote makes me smile.  Why wouldn't it?  It shows how empires may rise and fall, but Jesus will always rule supreme.  How amazing that someone who ruled one of those empires would even recognize that!  
   
     It is wonderful when you find quotes like the last two, that encourage you.  It is always great to look to other believers when you're hurting, because sometimes you just need a bit of helpful advice to keep you going.

Thanks,
~Hannah


2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. Huge. So thought provoking. I'm loving every word of your blog sweet cousin. Your heart is so wonderful to read and very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That last quote is my favorite, I am going to hang that up somewhere.Keep posting!!!!! It's awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete