Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Not Prince William, but JESUS!

 On midnight of January 1st, 2013, while other people were welcoming in the new year, Prince William was doing something very different.  Rather than celebrating with his now-pregnant wife as you would expect for him to be doing (I am so excited about the baby, by the way!) he was fighting off winds while trying to rescue a man who was swept into the waters while walking his dog near the sea.
     The prince got a call fifteen minutes after midnight, and he didn't stop to question what to do: he instantly got into a four-man helicopter and took off.  Battling over fifty mile per hour winds, he searched relentlessly.  Finally, the search was called off after several hours of search.  After looking for a few more days, the search was called off.  The man, and his dog, were lost, but the world still acknowledged the prince's brave effort.
     When we hear about things like this in the world around us, we are shocked.  Part of it might be because of the fact that the music and celebrity world are full of bad decisions and choices, so it is great when we hear about something like this.  But really, think about this: someone living the best life that could ever be though of giving it all up because he loved his people so incredibly much.  This would sound crazy to us: we find it hard so often to just give up money as tith or offering!  And then, after giving up everything, nobody acknowledged him when he finally did, and he ended up being killed by the very same people that he gave everything up to save!   As for me, I can't grasp my mind around this.
     We should be awestruck that he would care enough about us to do this, but I am often content with the fact.  I recognize it, but I don't really find it as shocking as it truly is.   
     On a slightly related but also totally unrelated note, this past Christmas, one of my youth pastors came to celebrate with my family because he had nowhere to go.  Then, when my dad began introducing him to our thirty or forty family members present, I randomly fell.  Yep, you heard correctly.  I fell, and as I was falling, I tripped on my cousin.  Which, although I caught myself, resulted in nonstop laughter.  I couldn't stop, even when my dad began praying (though I soon calmed myself down when I realized that he was).  One trait that I love about myself but kind of wish I could change is my laughter.  Once it gets started, it never stops.  Also, I am probably the most clumsy person I know.  I just randomly have days when I will always fall.  It is a great conversation starter or ice breaker, though!  :)
     On Christmas I celebrate that he came to earth, but I'm not truly overjoyed, and I focus way too much on my presents instead.  Of course, I go to the Christmas eve service and worship him, but on Christmas I don't do much more than my everyday praying and reading the Bible.  Time with my friends is so much more important to me at the time!  I guess what I mean is that we should really focus on what Christ did more than we do.  We just think of him as a baby rather than a king just randomly choosing to come down to earth when his subjects needed him(even though they don't realize it).  It physically hurts me to think that if I had lived in that time I probably would have been out there, insulting Jesus and calling for his death.  

     So, my point is that when we think something is crazy or very virtuous of a person, that's great, but think about Jesus!  He came down to earth, a place that was definitely not Heaven, and lived a full life as a man, experiencing pain that he never needed to feel.  He went through all of it just to pardon us!  Anytime, he could have just gone back to heaven, but he didn't.  No matter what we do, we could never make it up to him.  But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to live the best example of his love that we can, so that maybe others will see that something is different about us and want to know more.

~HANNAH

No comments:

Post a Comment