Sunday, March 17, 2013

Distractions

      Living in today's media, it's hard not to get distracted.  When I get home, I instantly turn on music before I do my homework.  This simple action can turn five-minute homework into five-hour homework.  Music is also what seems to wake me up in the morning when I have to go to school.  Now that I'm on Spring Break, I can finally write again, so here I am.  Even while I write this I am listening to music!
     As an obsessed *dedicated* fan of One Direction, it seems that it can almost take over your life.  Even when I know that I should be doing one thing, I find it hard to turn off the beautiful voices of perfection and concentrate on praying or doing my homework.  The same with magazines, movies, TV shows: sometimes they just seem so incredibly impossible to put down once you pick it up.  After I've scoured through the same magazine twenty times, I'll finally get sick of it.  
      However, when it comes to reading the Bible, there's quite a different reaction.  Sometimes I find it hard to pick up the Bible!  I have my Bible time every night, but it's difficult to enjoy it when I'm really tired.  I'm getting better, but it can still be a struggle.  If school is stressful, it's hard not to just fall into bed and doze off into dream land.  
     Almost all of the movies for teenagers (besides Disney movies.. I love those!) have some kind of sexual content, whether it's making out, implying something more, or even showing something more.  It's hard not to get a warped worldview after watching all of these things!  And trust me, I took a quarter-long class about world views, so I know how easily they can be impacted by what we do.  
     There's a line between loving something and having it become your idol.  Sometimes, though, that line can get a little blurred.  We don't think that there's anything wrong with loving the people that sing our favorite songs or write our favorite books, but when we start getting impacted for the worse by whatever it is that we love so much we can tell that something's up.  Most of the time, though, it's not even that obvious.  We don't really think much of the fact that something is practically controlling our lives, because we don't even care.  I actually like when I have something to constantly do when I'm at home and bored.  While I'm writing this I'm even listening to music!  Even though I haven't let it fully take over my life and start making it make my decisions or something, my idol's still there.
     Another way to fend off bad idols is to censor what you listen to.  Before I buy a song, I have to make sure that there isn't anything bad in it that would affect me in a negative way.  Even though I really like a song, sometimes I have to choose not to buy it because of even just one word.  Now granted, I'm not exactly listening to music that has cursing in it, but sometimes even the cleanest group has a song with a hidden meaning or two slipped in.  So really just think about what you're putting into your head.  Earlier this week, I heard that song "Locked out of Heaven" on the radio, and even though it's a terrible song, I had it stuck in my mind for two or three days.  I tried to get it out, but it kept coming back.  We need to guard our hearts and protect our minds, because the devil will do everything he can to corrupt them.  



No comments:

Post a Comment